Pages

I AM...

I am whatever YOU think I am until YOU get to KNOW me. This is true for everyone else too, of course.. so don't make assumptions about anyone or pass judgment; ask questions. You might just make a new friend.

Followers

Sunday, December 16, 2007

BORED WITH LIFE...


I am finding that my mind thrives on novelty and what was once a source of pleasure can become tedious after a time. Though my life is full, boredom lurks around every corner because I know that I innately long for new experiences. Though, passive by its nature boredom leaves my mind idle and frustrated by my inability to channel my mental energy into productive or engaging tasks. Hence, I am tempted to lose myself in purposeless or self-destructive pursuits. But that temptation is TOO great and can be seen as signs of depression. Hence I would rather see it as an invitation issued from my mind, asking me to challenge myself. So boredom can become the motivation that drives me to learn, explore the exotic, experiment, and harness the boundless creative energy within. In Hindu and Buddhist traditions, boredom is perceived as a pathway to self-awareness. Boredom itself is not detrimental to the soul—it is the manner in which we respond to it that determines whether it becomes a positive or a negative influence in our lives. When one responds by actively filling the emptiness lurking within, one cultivates creativity and innovation. Hence I have come to see that when I am troubled by boredom, it is not that there is nothing to do but rather that I am NOT stimulated by the options before me. Hence, my bored mind can be the canvas upon which innovation is painted and the womb in which novelty is nourished. When I identify boredom as a signal that tests my boundaries, it can be the force that presses me to strive for opportunities I thought were beyond my reach and to indulge my desire for adventure.

1 comment:

  1. This is very deep and it has certainly made me think, so much of me in this passage.

    ReplyDelete