Pages

I AM...

I am whatever YOU think I am until YOU get to KNOW me. This is true for everyone else too, of course.. so don't make assumptions about anyone or pass judgment; ask questions. You might just make a new friend.

Followers

Tuesday, March 21, 2023

✅ IT'S OKAY TO NOT ENJOY SOCIALIZING 👍🏽


There are certain things throughout life we seem to just naturally age out of. Openly picking wedgies in public. Anger over teeth brushing. Holding a glass with two hands like it’s the biggest chore in the world to successfully drink from it. But then there are some things that haunt us, especially the more introverted among us, for the totality of our lives.

Being forced to make excuses for not wanting to be social is a burden that can seem unshakeable, but guess what, with adulthood comes the ability to just pick something and proclaim that, no, I do not want to do that thing, and I can “I prefer not to” the hell right out of it whenever you want to.

From roughly early school years, until you’re nothing but a fully deceased bag of bones, we’re made to feel by TV commercials, shows, movies, and just strangers passing by our windows peering in that if we don’t have hot and crazy plans for after work and on weekends, we’re nerdy losers whose only source of oxygen comes from the exhaled breaths of the 155 pets we live with.

I want to suggest making a habit out of being honest with people in situations where they ask you to do something that you really don’t want to do, but I know how hard that is. But really, what other choice do you have? What’s so bad about being honest? I know that coming up with excuses is easier, and saves face on both ends as, I’m sure, no one wants to feel like the person they’re trying to hang out with doesn’t want to hang out with them. But I’d imagine it feels even worse to learn that someone is hanging out with you when they would really rather be NOT hanging out with you, or anyone, for that matter.

If handled honestly, and gently, the people we do hang out with will be secure in the understanding that we actually enjoy following through on plans with them. There won’t be any question to this because, there we’ll be, hanging out with them, and not on the sending end of a text that starts with “you’re gonna hate me but…”

Honesty is hard, but it’s a difficulty worth working toward.


No comments:

Post a Comment