Pages

I AM...

I am whatever YOU think I am until YOU get to KNOW me. This is true for everyone else too, of course.. so don't make assumptions about anyone or pass judgment; ask questions. You might just make a new friend.

Followers

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

HUMAN SEXUALITY: ¿MORE THAN GAY & STRAIGHT?

Let me pose this question: Exactly how does the adherence to labels benefit anyone? I realize that we sometimes have boxes that need to be checked and signs that need to be lettered, but at what point does the urge to delineate and classify do more harm than good? It’s bad enough having to discuss and debate precisely where to draw the lines for each category. After all, pretty much every self-identified gay man I’ve met has at least one woman whom they would theoretically sleep with.

So, do I have to actually sleep with someone who is trans or intersex to be considered “pansexual” (or “omnisexual” — I’m not sure if there’s a difference)? Or can I just be attracted to them in theory? Is recognizing their attractiveness enough? Or do I actually have to pop a boner? Do we draw the line just at physical attraction, or does romantic interest also enter into the equation? It’s exhausting, and this is coming from me, someone who considers himself a part of the “group.” Imagine how intimidating it must be for someone sitting on the outside.

Sure, classifying things makes them easier to understand, and it’s a natural human tendency to want to simplify things to make them easier to comprehend. But is that a behavior that we want to encourage? We already place people into plenty of other boxes based on race, ethnicity, education, income, political affiliation and the list goes on and on. We even create boxes based on our tastes in music and movies and so on. Do we really need to add another? As it stands, none of these labels, including those of sexuality and gender, come close to reflecting the deep complexity that is a human being.

Instead, I say we encourage people to just do as they please, and leave labels for objects and not human beings.

6 comments:

  1. Just be true to yourself! Let others put labels on you if they have to! Hugs and thanks for your visits and comments, Patrick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep it isn't about what others think @ the end of the day

      Delete
  2. labeling is a necessity of the human mind but we all know that there are many nuances of the essence and of the existence of human beings.

    ReplyDelete