Pages

I AM...

I am whatever YOU think I am until YOU get to KNOW me. This is true for everyone else too, of course.. so don't make assumptions about anyone or pass judgment; ask questions. You might just make a new friend.

Followers

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

LAVERNE COX RESPONDS TO THE DEATH OF TRANSGENDER TEEN LEELAH ALCORN

Guest hosting on ABC’s “The View” on Thursday, transgender actress Laverne Cox responded to the death of Leelah Alcorn, a 17-year-old transgender teen who died by suicide just days after Christmas.

Leelah’s suicide was explained in a note she left on her Tumblr page, in which she blamed years ofbullying and harassment, rejection from her parents, and for being subjected to Christian counseling and conversion therapy.

Cox recounted her own struggles growing up, including a suicide attempt at age 11.

“It got better for me when I learned how to reach out and get support, when I really did the work to truly love myself. And that’s a lot of work, but you can’t do it alone,” said Cox.

“I don’t want to demonize her parents, her parents must be going through the worst thing any parent would go through. But I think what they did by isolating her and not supporting her, she didn’t feel like she could reach out for support, I think that’s the worst thing you can do.”

A 2010 study by from the National Center for Transgender Equality report that 41 percent of people who are transgender or gender-nonconforming have attempted suicide sometime in their lives, nearly nine times the national average.

Additionally, more than 50 percent of transgender youth will have had at least one suicide attempt by their 20th birthday.

SOURCE: LGBTQ  NATION

No comments:

Post a Comment