Pages

I AM...

I am whatever YOU think I am until YOU get to KNOW me. This is true for everyone else too, of course.. so don't make assumptions about anyone or pass judgment; ask questions. You might just make a new friend.

Followers

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

KID CUDI: PLAYING GAY IN 'JAMES WHITE' WAS 'DOPE'

Rapper Scott “Kid Cudi” Mescudi has described his gay role in the filmJames White as “dope.”

The film, which premiered over the weekend at the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah, explores “a really rich, close relationship between a single mother (played by out actress Cynthia Nixon) and her son (Christopher Abbot),” who is heterosexual. Cudi plays the son's best friend.

“This was way different that anything else I've ever done,” Cudi, who also scored the film, told Billboard before the film's premiere. “It was dope to do that. I felt like I had a responsibility to present a different walk in life from that world.”

Cudi lamented that scenes in which he comes out and kisses a male friend (David Call) were cut.

“When he comes out of the closet it's not really a thing. I think that's something the world needs to see. 'Cause it's not a thing. We're all equal.”

“I'm mad [director Josh Modi] cut out my kissing scenes with David,” Cudi said after the premiere, where he watched the finished film for the first time. “We made out so many times – and it was so good! That's my only gripe.”


Cudi added that he had no hesitation in playing a gay character:
 “My thing is what story are we trying to tell here. I didn't flinch. 
I'm secure with mine. I'm an artist – it's about playing characters that are intriguing and stimulating.”

SOURCE: ON TOP MAG

2 comments:

  1. sounds dope! Love to see African American men embracing gay culture with no qualms about it. Just because of this, he's cool in my book! Ups to Kid Cudi!

    ReplyDelete