Pages

I AM...

I am whatever YOU think I am until YOU get to KNOW me. This is true for everyone else too, of course.. so don't make assumptions about anyone or pass judgment; ask questions. You might just make a new friend.

Followers

Monday, January 26, 2015

FOR PATRICK STEWART, STANDING UP FOR GAY RIGHTS WAS A NATURAL

Patrick Stewart, who plays a bisexual Juilliard dance teacher in the new film Match, was misidentified as a gay man by a British newspaper last year.
While some straight men might go into a bit of a panic over such a thing, Stewart insists he was 'utterly flattered' and told close friend Ian McKellen 'this is a very distinctive honor that I’ve been awarded.'
It's no surprise Stewart would be so enthusiastic about it all since he has long been a staunch supporter of equality for gays and lesbians.
'When I look back to my early career and early experience, my ease and comfort being in the company of and intimately close with gay and lesbian colleagues and friends was always, for me, the most natural, and I might even say at times appealing aspects of the life I was living,' he tells The Advocate.
'There was never a moment where I made an intellectual choice that I would be a supporter of gay civil rights,' he adds. 'It was always a natural and uncomplicated choice.'
Meeting McKellen and other activists that led to him getting even more involved in recent years.
'I was only too happy to join campaigns, march, and support in whatever way I could because it always seemed to me to be something that much too much fuss was being made about.'

SOURCE: GAY STAR NEWS

No comments:

Post a Comment