Pages

I AM...

I am whatever YOU think I am until YOU get to KNOW me. This is true for everyone else too, of course.. so don't make assumptions about anyone or pass judgment; ask questions. You might just make a new friend.

Followers

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

RUPAUL SCHOOLS ABC NEWS: 'DRAG AIN'T FOR SISSIES'

Drag mother and superstar RuPaul put in an appearance on ABC News to teach anchor Dan Harris all about drag culture.

‘”Drag Race” is popular because at its core it is the story of the tenacity of the human spirit.

‘We get to see these kids who have been pushed aside by society, who’ve made a way for themselves to be seen and to be great. And watching them thrive throughout these challenges is captivating, especially knowing their stories.

‘And I know their stories because it’s my story. It really is the story of really everyone who thinks outside the box,’ he said.
RuPaul’s Drag Race is about to finish its Season 8, showcasing the series’s increasing popularity.

Despite his appearance on ABC News, RuPaul says: ‘I think that I haven’t been accepted in mainstream media outlets like ‘The Tonight Show’ or ‘Ellen’ or the late-night shows because the only way they could actually have a conversation with me is to make fun of me, or if they could somehow make a joke about what I’m doing.’

In trying to explain the art of drag, he tells Harris: ‘You know, show business is not for sissies. Drag ain’t for sissies. You’ve got to toughen up.

‘I’m not on this show to … to make it easy, you know? I wanna prepare them.’


Harris also asks RuPaul about drag parlance, and RuPaul tells him that ever since the ‘girlfriend!’ drag and gay culture has defined what’s cool and not cool.

SOURCE: GAY STAR NEWS

No comments:

Post a Comment