Pages

I AM...

I am whatever YOU think I am until YOU get to KNOW me. This is true for everyone else too, of course.. so don't make assumptions about anyone or pass judgment; ask questions. You might just make a new friend.

Followers

Tuesday, March 14, 2023

THE RELATIONSHIP 👬🏽 ESCALATOR & GAY MEN


Ever wonder why as gay men we are supposed to move and act in certain ways? Why does society try to get us to adhere so many traditions and rituals that determine rite of passage in life? Like… why does your mom always ask about grandkids (despite knowing that you might not want any)? Or why does your aunt really need to know when you and your long-term partner are getting married? And why are couples “supposed” to live together?

Things are the way they are because society and culture dictate that they are so. As queer individuals begin to unravel the harmful social norms thrust upon us and subsequently be more accepting of “alternative” lifestyles, it’s time to look at what we expect out of our most intimate relationships.

Ever since I began my journey into my sexuality, the harm of these societal norms have become so obvious to me and though it can be frustrating but I’ve truly never been happier. I am surrounded by love and more security than I’ve ever known.

Yet, our existence threatens the status quo and thus, it’s subject to scrutiny. That’s because the relationship escalator is such a strong force.

Maybe more of us should rethink what we’re being told we should do with our lives, and whether it’s actually what we want. Are we passively letting society tell us how our closest relationships should unfold? Or should we design our relationships of our own accord?



No comments:

Post a Comment