Pages

I AM...

I am whatever YOU think I am until YOU get to KNOW me. This is true for everyone else too, of course.. so don't make assumptions about anyone or pass judgment; ask questions. You might just make a new friend.

Followers

Friday, September 18, 2020

HEALTH: ¿WHAT'S YOUR GAY AGENDA?

 


Men are pretty much the same, gay straight, or something else. We generally love to eat, sleep, have sex (often), dislike seeing doctors and we avoid anything that gives us the feeling that we cannot care for ourselves. We like to feel that we are in control of our lives and bodies, we usually despise feelings of dependency or  vulnerability. But the reality that is as a sexual minority and when it comes to our health we are vulnerable and we need each other, in a very real way.

Many of will not have children to depend on as we age, and we will most likely be left in the care of others when we are physically unable to care for ourselves. What is even more concerning is that we, as gay men, are not generally listened to within the larger political and governmental establishments. This situation (a combination of being physically unable to care for ones self at any age, and being a stigmatized minority), is a ‘prefect storm’ for substandard care and a repeat of the victimization many of us experienced as we ‘came out’ and emerged as gay men in a sexually repressive society.

Regardless of our age and familial circumstances, we above many groups, need each other in a very basic and personal way when it comes to our health and how we are treated within the health care system.  So what your gay agenda when it comes to your health?

1 comment:

  1. I continue to work out almost on a daily basis because I have no one to take care of me, no fall back plan. I will take care of myself. I want to be healthy enough to enjoy my retirement. I want to travel. When that is no longer possible? And my quality life is gone? A bottle of gin, a bottle of Ambien. And buh-bye.

    ReplyDelete