Pages

I AM...

I am whatever YOU think I am until YOU get to KNOW me. This is true for everyone else too, of course.. so don't make assumptions about anyone or pass judgment; ask questions. You might just make a new friend.

Followers

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

DERRICK GORDON IS NOW THE FIRST OUT GAY PLAYER TO COMPETE IN A DIVISION 1 MEN'S BASKETBALL GAME

It was more than the start of a new season for Derrick Gordon.

Last night, 14 November, the University of Massachusetts shooting guard participated in his team's opening game, making him the first out gay player to compete in a Division 1 men's basketball.


'I went into it like a regular game,'  Gordon said after the game. 'I've been here before, but it was good to see the support I had.'

The Plainfield, New Jersey resident helped the Minutemen to victory against Siena College, with 17 points and nine rebounds.

According to ESPN, the crowd was supportive of the player. His name was chanted when he first went to the free-throw line. A group of students held up his jersey number - No. 2. Under that was the Nike phrase #BETRUE" in rainbow-colored letters.

Sitting behind the University of Massachusetts' bench was Gordon's parents and twin brother. Darryl Gordon was recently released from prison after serving five years for attempted murder.


'I held back the tears,' Gordon said to ESPN. 'I haven't seen my brother since he's been out. It was good to see my family sitting in that section -- it's something I've been dreaming about.'

SOURCE: GAY STAR NEWS

No comments:

Post a Comment