Pages

I AM...

I am whatever YOU think I am until YOU get to KNOW me. This is true for everyone else too, of course.. so don't make assumptions about anyone or pass judgment; ask questions. You might just make a new friend.

Followers

Monday, November 3, 2014

APPLE CEO TIM OFFICIALLY COMES OUT: 'I AM PROUD TO BE GAY'

Apple CEO Tim Cook has officially come out as gay.

'I consider being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me,' he writes in a personal essay in Bloomberg Businessweek.

'I’ll admit that this wasn’t an easy choice. Privacy remains important to me, and I’d like to hold on to a small amount of it.'
The head of Apple, who took over from Steve Jobs in 2011, has never denied being gay and to an extent it has been considered to be public knowledge

But until today, Cook has also never confirmed his sexuality.

'I don’t consider myself an activist, but I realize how much I’ve benefitted from the sacrifice of others,' Cook adds.

'So if hearing that the CEO of Apple is gay can help someone struggling to come to terms with who he or she is, or bring comfort to anyone who feels alone, or inspire people to insist on their equality, then it’s worth the trade-off with my own privacy.'

While it may be the first time he has publcly confirmed his sexuality, he has repeatedly been shown to support LGBTI rights.

In July, Cook greeted 5,000 employees before they marched in San Francisco's Pride parade.

A month earlier, he supported the White House's decision to ban LGBTI discrimination at federal contractors, calling it a 'matter of basic human dignity'.

Cook concludes: '[Apple] will continue to fight for our values, and I believe that any CEO of this incredible company, regardless of race, gender, or sexual orientation, would do the same. And I will personally continue to advocate for equality for all people until my toes point up.

'When I arrive in my office each morning, I’m greeted by framed photos of Dr. King and Robert F. Kennedy. I don’t pretend that writing this puts me in their league.


'All it does is allow me to look at those pictures and know that I’m doing my part, however small, to help others. We pave the sunlit path toward justice together, brick by brick. This is my brick.'

SOURCE: GAY STAR NEWS

1 comment: