Pages

I AM...

I am whatever YOU think I am until YOU get to KNOW me. This is true for everyone else too, of course.. so don't make assumptions about anyone or pass judgment; ask questions. You might just make a new friend.

Followers

Monday, August 22, 2016

JUS' E-MAIL ME: ¿WHY AM I STILL SINGLE?


Ever since I turned 30, I’ve taken a new approach to how I live my life. I don’t care about the petty things anymore. I wake up in the morning with a generally positive outlook on my day. I’ve learned to accept the fact that things are never really going to go according to plans. I’ve also learned to be present–exist and rejoice in the here and now. I’ve grown tremendously and made what I consider to be great accomplishments in my life. I feel happy. Not just any happy, but a cool sense of intrinsic happiness! In my moments of weakness a suppressed, recurring question always comes to mind: Why am I Single?!?

Before I really get into how I feel about the subject, I have to shed light up my upbringing and thoughts of my own sexuality. I knew I was gay since I was 4! I distinctly remember coming home trying to explain to my mother that I have a boyfriend. She then tried to explain to me the difference between a guy who is a friend and a lover–and I argued with her. (I swear I feel like I’ve always been an adult trapped in a kids body). I was never picked on, bullied or abused in adolescence–I was just myself. It wasn’t until my teenage years until I became fully aware of what “being gay” was. Whatever I was exposed to–maybe it was the late night episodes of Queer as Folk and other limited LGBT shows I could sneak to watch–or the few gay hormone-driven friends I had met along my journey or the interesting scenes I found myself in while underage clubbing or my early days on hookup/dating sites. Whatever it was–I knew that I was THAT type of gay.

I fashioned myself to be what I had considered to be “husband material”. I was not sexually active until 17, I never did any drugs didn’t drink until mid 20s. I graduated with two degrees in business, and I’m back in school for a third in audio engineering. I’m in the process of buying a multifamily home as a rental property. I'm in shape -always have been (and now its even better due to Cross Fit), I drive around in a Lexus, I have edgy bad boy sense of style, nice hair, white teeth, easy personality but sometimes a jerk–I can cook and if a fight ever breaks out in a bar, I know that I can hold my own! I have everything I would want in a partner, so–WHY AM I STILL SINGLE!?


I have had conversations with one of my close friends about this. He pointed out something for me to digest. He said the type of person I’m looking for is someone just like me–someone I can relate to and be in my same age bracket (plus or minus 5 years). and that list is narrow. NARROW!? Really?? 7 Billion people in the world?? Why are ALL my exes in seemingly happy relationships or move from man to man, and I go by years at a time single? What am I doing wrong??

Have you ever had to deal with this? 

What are your thought?

No comments:

Post a Comment