Pages

I AM...

I am whatever YOU think I am until YOU get to KNOW me. This is true for everyone else too, of course.. so don't make assumptions about anyone or pass judgment; ask questions. You might just make a new friend.

Followers

Friday, April 12, 2013

THIS WEEKEND'S BOX-OFFICE: 4/12/2013


Opening this weekend are baseball's Jackie Robinson biopic, 42, and the fifth installment of the Scary Movie franchise.

42


PROS:

- Social network buzz has been strong in comparison to Moneyball and Trouble with the Curve.
- The film is currently leading all Fandango ticket sales.
- Marketing synergy has been strong with the start of the baseball season, including tying in with Jackie Robinson Day.
- The true story status and urban appeal may help expand interest beyond just baseball fans.

CONS:

- Baseball films are hit and miss at the box office. Even the successful ones don't usually break out.
- As May approaches, audiences could easily hold out on smaller movies like 42.
- Will be more about the legs than a big opening.

Scary Movie 5


PROS:

- The franchise name.
- Relatively strong marketing synergy with Lohan appearing on FX's Anger Management with Charlie Sheen.

CONS:

- Spoofs have become less of a must-see attraction in recent years.
- Will audiences still care about the franchise seven years after the most recent entry?

2 comments:

  1. I used to love SCARY MOVIE (the old parts), BUT I think I am going to hate this one. 1) the trailer doesn't look like funny movie at all, those jokes are old and not cool anymore; 2) Lindsay Lohan looks like a potato-face, no thanks! 3) Since I am not watching much of the new movies, I will not catch the jokes (if it is a parody of something), so - I'll pass that ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second most of what you said, Scary Movie to me like w/e

      Delete