Pages

I AM...

I am whatever YOU think I am until YOU get to KNOW me. This is true for everyone else too, of course.. so don't make assumptions about anyone or pass judgment; ask questions. You might just make a new friend.

Followers

Thursday, March 30, 2017

MAKING FRIENDS AS GAY ADULTS

One thing no one tells you about being an adult is how lonely you will be. People tell you about the responsibilities, the hard work in front of you, hell, they even tell you all the possible STDs you can get from unprotected sex. But for some reason, people seem to gloss over the fact that it’s really, really hard to make friends as an adult. And, as a result, a lot of gay men I know are lonely.
Romantic relationships are arguably easier to find because there’s a physical attraction or at least the promise of one. Gay men are motivated to find romantic relationships, so they’re more open to talking to strangers in restaurants or at a function with who they find intriguing. But if I’m in a dimly lit bar one Saturday night, and I see a man my age across the way, and I want to get to know him (strictly on a platonic basis), what do I do? Buy him a drink? Compliment his outfit? Try to get his number?

In a world full of #squadgoals and selfies, it can be hard to admit that it is difficult to maintain or begin a friendship with other gay men. Do you find it hard to make friends as adult gay men?

No comments:

Post a Comment