Pages

I AM...

I am whatever YOU think I am until YOU get to KNOW me. This is true for everyone else too, of course.. so don't make assumptions about anyone or pass judgment; ask questions. You might just make a new friend.

Followers

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

WATCH: US GAY VALEDICTORIAN GIVES BANNED SPEECH ON NATIONAL TELEVISION

Evan Young, an 18-year-old graduating senior at Twin Peaks Charter Academy High School who was stopped from giving a speech at his school's commencement ceremony, found a new audience – over 400,000 people to be exact – last week.

The valedictorian's planned speech was cancelled after the school found out that he was planning to come out as gay.

After the cancellation made the news, Larry Wilmore, host of The Nightly Show, flew the teen to New York to deliver the banned part of the speech on the show last Thursday.

The school's attorney Barry Arrington was quoted as saying in the Daily Camera that a graduation speech is not the time for a student to 'push his personal agenda on a captive audience.'

The teen shares his 'biggest secret of all' in his speech: 'I'm gay… When I was writing this speech, I was endlessly debating with myself whether I should reveal this, on account of how divisive an issue this is and how homosexuals tend to be stereotyped, and I thought that, if I did, I should repeatedly apologize and beg you guys not to think any differently of me.

'But then I realized: I don't have to. I shouldn’t have to. If there's one thing I learned at this school, it's that we can still be friends even if we profoundly disagree with each other.'


Young is set to attend Rutgers University in the fall.


SOURCE: GAY STAR NEWS

No comments:

Post a Comment