Pages

I AM...

I am whatever YOU think I am until YOU get to KNOW me. This is true for everyone else too, of course.. so don't make assumptions about anyone or pass judgment; ask questions. You might just make a new friend.

Followers

Friday, June 13, 2014

HIV: ¿SHOULD THE GAY COMMUNITY HOLD THEIR BREATH FOR A CURE?

Is there going to be a cure for HIV any time soon? To be honest, I don’t know. There have been a few stories of people who have been ‘cured’, babies mostly but some adults too. In most cases the circumstances of the cure do not apply to those of us who have been living with a diagnosis for many years, or the risks involved are too great. At the least, the theory of a cure has been established so it’s understandable that people are starting to get hopeful that a cure isn’t too far behind. 
By cure I don’t necessarily even mean complete eradication of the virus from my body (although that would be nice). I mean a one-off treatment which will permanently prevent the virus from turning the immune system on itself, leaving persons vulnerable to a wide range of diseases which are otherwise rare. Also I want it to mean that HIV positive persons cannot infect a sexual partner. Surely that’s not too much to ask for from a ‘cure’, right?

So tell me do you think we will ever get a cure for HIV in our lifetime?


4 comments:

  1. One can only keep hoping that research will find either a cure or a vaxine, like Fluvax which prevents one from getting the flu in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. people keep telling me that there's a cure but since selling meds makes more money they won't release the cure

      Delete
  2. I see a lot of people turning blue before a cure is found & offered, but nothing wrong with keeping hope alive

    ReplyDelete