Pages

I AM...

I am whatever YOU think I am until YOU get to KNOW me. This is true for everyone else too, of course.. so don't make assumptions about anyone or pass judgment; ask questions. You might just make a new friend.

Followers

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

BOLLYWOOD ACTRESS REFUSES TO STOP CAMPAIGNING FOR LGBT RIGHTS, DESPITE DEATH THREATS

Bollywood actress Celina Jaitly says she will not stop fighting for LGBT rights, despite threats on her life and the lives of her children.

The 32-year-old star was named a United Nations Equality Champion by UN human rights chief Navi Pillay last year in recognition of her support for LGBT rights.


Residing in India, Jaitly is hoping her campaigning will reverse the law introduced by the Indian Supreme Court.

“It’s been a very, very long journey for me, both personally, professionally. Also I suffered a lot sometimes because there were people who would not want to work with me because I was supporting gay rights.”

However, Jaitly says she is undeterred and remains committed to speaking out for the rights of millions of LGBT people around the world, even though she and her 2-year-old twins have faced death threats.


“Despite threats from many opposing parties, threats to my children, threats to myself and character assassination, I do not want…my children to grow up in an environment where people are judged based on their sexual orientation.”

SOURCE: PINK NEWS

No comments:

Post a Comment