Pages

I AM...

I am whatever YOU think I am until YOU get to KNOW me. This is true for everyone else too, of course.. so don't make assumptions about anyone or pass judgment; ask questions. You might just make a new friend.

Followers

Monday, October 14, 2013

ORLANDO CRUZ LOSES HIS WORLD TITLE FIGHT

Puerto Rican boxer Orlando “The Phenomenon” Cruz, boxing's first openly gay fighter, on Saturday lost his bid for a world title.

Mexico's Orlando Salido won the vacant WBO featherweight title after he knocked out Cruz in the seventh round. The bout took place at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.

Despite the loss, Cruz, who came out gay last year, goes down in history as the first openly gay boxer to fight for a world title.

The 32-year-old boxer entered the ring wearing a pair of rainbow-colored trunks to support the LGBT community and pink boxing gloves to support Breast Cancer Awareness Month. ESPN reported that members of Cruz's team also waved rainbow-colored flags.

“I went into the corner and he hit me with a good shot,” Cruz said. “I though the fight was close up until then. It was going back and forth.”


Cruz also dedicated the fight to the late Emile Griffith, one of the greatest boxers in history, who came out bisexual in an interview with Sports Illustrated.

SOURCE: ON TOP MAG

No comments:

Post a Comment