Pages

I AM...

I am whatever YOU think I am until YOU get to KNOW me. This is true for everyone else too, of course.. so don't make assumptions about anyone or pass judgment; ask questions. You might just make a new friend.

Followers

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

WENTWORTH MILLER: I TRIED TO KILL MYSELF @ 15 OVER BEING GAY

US actor Wentworth Miller has revealed how he tried to kill himself over his sexuality when he was 15.

Most famous for his role in television series ‘Prison Break’, Miller attended a Human Rights Campaign dinner in Seattle, USA on 8 September when he was invited to speak to the audience.

The guests sat in silence as he recounted his experiences coming to terms with his sexuality as a young teenager.

He said: ‘Growing up I was a target. Speaking the right way, standing the right way, holding your wrist the right way.

'Every day was a test and there was a thousand ways to fail. A thousand ways to portray yourself to not live up to someone else’s standards of what was accepted.’

He then added: ‘The first time I tried to kill myself I was 15. I waited until my family went away for the weekend and I was alone in the house and I swallowed a bottle of pills.

'I don’t remember what happened over the next couple of days, but I’m pretty sure come Monday morning I was on the bus back to school pretending everything was fine.’

Miller also spoke about remaining in the closet when he was at the height of his fame.

He feared coming out might have a negative impact on his career.

'When I thought about the possibility of coming out might impact me and the career that I had worked so hard for I was filled with fear,' he said.


Miller recently came out as gay via an open letter. He refused to attend a film festival in St. Petersburg due to Russia’s anti-gay laws.

SOURCE: GAY STAR NEWS

No comments:

Post a Comment