Pages

I AM...

I am whatever YOU think I am until YOU get to KNOW me. This is true for everyone else too, of course.. so don't make assumptions about anyone or pass judgment; ask questions. You might just make a new friend.

Followers

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

THEGA(Y)TE-KEEPER PRESENTS: DEREK LASSITER - VOCALIST/COMPOSER







As a vocalist/musician Derek Lassiter’s power is in his
ability to render the subject he’s writing about as cleanly as possible. For
him, God isn’t in the details but in simplicity. Lassiter bravely steps from
behind the false front and in doing so reveals the sobering truth about his life. In this sense he is a poet's musician.





Born in the South Bronx, Derek Lassiter spent the first
eleven years of his life moving around the neighborhoods of that New York City
borough. At age 11 he moved to the suburbs of Pennsylvania to live with his
maternal Grandmother.





“Both places had a
profound effect on me and I learned at an early age just how disparate the
world could be. My mother listened to Soul and 60’s folk music, my Grandmother
didn’t have a stereo and only listened to Country and Western on a little radio
in the kitchen. But then again my Grandmother also sent us to a Baptist church
where I heard Gospel for the first time.” 





When his Grandmother
became too ill to care for him and his siblings, Derek spent his teen years
moving between foster homes in Pennsylvania. He recounts that with each move he
was exposed to an ever growing list of musical genres.





“I can track the movements
of my life through music. Whenever I talk to my older brother about a song and
we’re trying to remember the year we’ll say; “oh yeah, that’s when we lived
at...”





Eventually Derek settled
in San Francisco where he currently lives and works. In the early 90’s he
fronted several bands and played many of the local clubs including Slim’s,
Great American Music Hall, Café du Nord and numerous cafes and private events.





In 2006 he embarked on a
“solo” endeavor composing his own music and 
writing lyrics. He’s
collaborated with some of the finest musicians for his
live shows including Tammy
Hall, pc muñoz, Marc Weibel, Art Khu, 
Alcide Marshall and Tom
Freund to name a few.









A few years have passed since the release of Witness. Shortly
after the completion of that project he started writing a song called Music
Outside. The inspiration for the song came when he remembered that at one point
in his life he had consciously made a decision to stop doing anything creative:
no music, no writing, acting or photography. Those years were very dark and
desperate times for him. 





HERE IS THE LINK TO DOWNLOAD HIS MUSIC.







No comments:

Post a Comment