Pages

I AM...

I am whatever YOU think I am until YOU get to KNOW me. This is true for everyone else too, of course.. so don't make assumptions about anyone or pass judgment; ask questions. You might just make a new friend.

Followers

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

¿IS IT HUMAN NATURE TO BE NEGATIVE?

Our perception of humanity as a whole is, to a large extent, twofold. We paint people with a broad brush…some are like us, sharing our opinions and our attitudes, while others are different. The thoughts we choose to embrace is often so strong that we are easily convinced that our way is the right way. Every human being has been blessed with a unique nature that cannot be altered by outside forces, but I find myself sometimes wondering if that is REALLY the case! What makes an individual feel SO strongly about something/someone they don’t know? I base this question on fact that we humans praise celebrities, athletes, clergy men and the like, but moment they do something or is attached to something that fails…Doesn’t it almost feel like we are too happy when failure finds these people?

I get that the potential we see in the people will NEVER be precisely the same as our own, and I know that it would appear that I am doing persons that throw hate a minute before giving adoration a disservice because I am making assumptions without knowing the reason for it…nonetheless, my negative feeling comes from a place of seeing the good while acknowledging the bad. The reasons we behave this way are numerous, but I believe that the sum total of who we are will NEVER compare to what we do or don’t do. I get that our understanding of life will FOREVER be limited, but I believe that humanity lies in our ability to accept others for all their failures AND successes. We can love/hate people for who they are, embrace their uniqueness, or we can love them as human beings from afar. We don’t have to relish in another’s pain do we?  

After all aren’t our emotions that are SO often linked to the chatter we have in our mind about people does NOT always represent their current state of being? I find that the more we listen to these thoughts, the more we swing between conflicting ideas of what is success AND failure, what is positive AND negative in this world. But I do believe that we can keep ourselves grounded, all we have to do is acknowledge AND release the success/failure of others into the care of the universe. We can never know all the circumstances that may have led them there, so taking it personal on either level isn’t good for us. And though it may seem difficult OR foolish, it is important to see the good in all as there are blessings in every aspect of our reality. So the next time someone has some success/failure be it friend OR a stranger (celebrity), take the time to look inside yourself, find the mirror and the reason you feel the way you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment