Pages

I AM...

I am whatever YOU think I am until YOU get to KNOW me. This is true for everyone else too, of course.. so don't make assumptions about anyone or pass judgment; ask questions. You might just make a new friend.

Followers

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

IN THE LIFE MEDIA: FOSTER CARE'S INVISIBLE YOUTH



There are approximately 400,000 youth in foster care in the United States. A disproportionate number of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning (LGBTQ) children end up in the system, though an exact count is unknown.


This month on IN THE LIFE, seven LGBTQ youth from the foster care system share their stories. Failed by their families, these young people go on to face rejection from foster families, invisibility within the system and incredible obstacles to healthy development.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you, my blogger brother and friend, for bringing this tragedy to people's attention! Too often, it is overlooked and our youth forgotten or worse. You always represent the best of what the blogging tradition is about: awareness. Great job! Much love, Roger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I try to balance out what I put here and I hope others can appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I count myself very lucky, as I found a good family who kept me, and I didn't bounce around from one home to the next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] In the Life Media: Foster Care’s Invisible Youth (iamagaytekeeper.wordpress.com) [...]

    ReplyDelete