Pages

I AM...

I am whatever YOU think I am until YOU get to KNOW me. This is true for everyone else too, of course.. so don't make assumptions about anyone or pass judgment; ask questions. You might just make a new friend.

Followers

Monday, April 16, 2012

WE ARE CO-WORKERS, NOT FRIENDS...





How many of you have
encountered that colleague at work who, for whatever reason, thinks that
working together entitles them to information about your personal life. These
people are the ones who have to be quickly reminded that you two are co-workers
and not friends.


It is true
that we spend the majority of our time with the people that we work with, but
it doesn’t mean we have to be the best of friends. Any job I start I maintain
this approach to keep work and my social life separate. Some people get upset
because when they ask me about how my weekend was I simply say, “It was fine,”
and leave it at that. That is all the information I feel needs to be given and
I shouldn’t be made to feel like an outcast because I don’t want to discuss
every aspect of my life.


People usually
will find someone they become friends with at work or a click that they hang
out with during lunch, but it is not mandatory. Being polite, keeping to
yourself and doing your work is all that matters. All the friendship stuff can
be a waste of time and end up with you being in the middle of office politics
or drama. It amazes me how many work places are more like high school
cafeterias with the amount of gossip and back biting that goes around. I rather
be seen as anti-social and keep to myself then trying to be the cool person at
work.


Business and
pleasure usually don’t mix well and this is especially true in the work place.
You should never feel pressured to share more information about your life than
you have to with people that you work with. If they want to call you boring
that is fine because your REAL friends know the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment