Pages

I AM...

I am whatever YOU think I am until YOU get to KNOW me. This is true for everyone else too, of course.. so don't make assumptions about anyone or pass judgment; ask questions. You might just make a new friend.

Followers

Monday, April 12, 2021

📧 JUS’ E-MAIL ME: WHAT GOES AROUND COMES BACK AROUND 🔄

I’m not brave enough to show my face or reveal my name but I’m brave enough to speak up about something I live every day to try to fix, even though it’s too late. I had a bestfriend who turned out to be gay. At that time in the 80s, gay meant that he was a predator. Gay meant that he just wanted to get in my pants and that he’d have no respect for my standards. In those days, we were taught to fear gay people and I was definitely afraid.

So, I disowned him and tossed his friendship into the garbage. Denying his friendship wasn’t enough, though. I lied about him…I told stories about what he said he wanted and how I had to fight him to keep him away from me. None of that was true. I heard, a few years later that he killed himself.

If he were alive today, I’d tell him how wrong and sorry I was and am. To this day, I don’t really know why he killed himself. But, to show that there really is justice in this world, my son has just told me that he’s gay and all the old ghosts have come up again.

I will not disown him and I’ll never throw him away…he’s my son and I love him more than anything. But, it just goes to show that old sins sometimes come home to haunt. I pray every day that my old companion will somehow forgive me even though I know I don’t deserve it. I now live every day watching out for people when they’re being mistreated for who they are. The old fears and prejudices are gone…

I still have my standards. But I also know that I have a responsibility to uphold standards of kindness and tolerance for everyone, even though that’s not easy sometimes…and I’m going to carry that with me for the rest of my life.’

Do you think there's real redemption for people like me?Have you ever been in this situation?

What are your thoughts?

What advice would you give this person?



1 comment:

  1. When we are young, we are careless with people. We lack a belief in a future. One that holds us accountable for our actions. As we age, we see the value of those who come into our lives. Those we failed? We cannot help now. Those we have? We must treasure and care for as if our life depended on it... because it does. You are what you put out there. You must live in the moment and decide each moment... am I the person I was? Or am going to be the person I can be. The person I can be now? Values those in my life. I take care of them... because my life does depend on it.

    ReplyDelete