Pages

I AM...

I am whatever YOU think I am until YOU get to KNOW me. This is true for everyone else too, of course.. so don't make assumptions about anyone or pass judgment; ask questions. You might just make a new friend.

Followers

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

¿REAL MEN WEAR PINK...RIGHT?







Yesterday I decided to wear a pink colored shirt to work and I QUICKLY learned how ignorant the human mind can be. My co-worker (God bless her heart) decided to ask me a personal question. And her question to me was why I would wear a PINK colored shirt? My response was because I can…she then said that she doesn’t think a man should wear a shirt this color and if he does then he more than likely is GAY. When she said that I laughed because her logic was SO off center; how sad is that this way of thinking exist in this world huh? PITY…Then she proceeded to question MY sexuality by asking if I am gay, to which I asked her if she was interested? To which she said that she wasn’t because she doesn’t date within the working environment (NOT because she is a married woman), but because she doesn’t believe in cooking AND taking a dump in the same place. I TOTALLY agree with her on that sentiment; however I can’t help think how an article of clothing would suggest that I am a HOMOSEXUAL? So does this mean that MASCULINITY ≠ A PINKSHIRT? 





This proved to me that in today’s society we are WAY TOO consumed with MASCULINITY. I thought that ONLY beauty was in the eye of the beholder, I didn’t know that article of clothing made its way in there as well? This belief, this notion is NOTHING more than a perception that has NO result in anything other than our frames of reference. Hence the ENTIRE GENTRIFICATION comes down to image and NOTHING else? When are we going to learn that masculinity AND femininity are nothing more than a facade? I might hesitate to agree that sometimes we gay men and women causes persons like her to make assumptions about gender. I guess @ the end of the day I can say that she has PERFECTLY characterized what masculinity isn’t…Her take on what a man is about would be funny it weren’t SO scary. This lady has a son AND GOD only knows what he’ll grow to be, I can only hope that he doesn’t try to wear a pink shirt because it is OBVIOUS that his mother is wounded because she thinks that masculinity is something that a man wears. 

No comments:

Post a Comment