Friday, February 8, 2013
Opening this weekend are director Seth Gordon's Identity Thief and director Steven Soderbergh's Side Effects.
- The casting of Melissa McCarthy and Jason Bateman should be very appealing given the former's increasing popularity since Bridesmaids and the latter's own fan base.
- Aside from the bombing of Movie 43, audiences haven't had an appealing R-rated comedy in awhile.
- Director Seth Gordon is on a roll after Horrible Bosses and Four Christmases became box office successes in 2011 and 2008, respectively.
- Social media tracking has been strong, and the film currently leads Fandango's Top 5 sellers.
- With certain exceptions, comedies tend to be more about legs than a huge opening weekend.
- Bateman is not a consistent box office draw (see The Change-Up).
- A strong cast including Channing Tatum, Jude Law, Mara Rooney, and Catherine Zeta-Jones.
- Director Steven Soderbergh found success with similar thriller themes in Contagion.
- Could be overshadowed by Identity Thief and the recent glut of thrillers in the market.
- The film is nowhere to be seen in Fandango's best five sellers as of Wednesday.
- Channing Tatum hasn't been featured prominently in much of the marketing.